zezestudio

Thursday, 30 April 2015

I'm leaving Liverpool this summer, says Glen Johnson

Liverpool defender Glen Johnson says he doesn't expect to still be at the club next season as he approaches the final months of his contract.

While the England international stopped short of calling an end to his Reds career on Wednesday, the 30-year-old conceded that it is unlikely that he will earn a new contract when his current deal expires at the end of June.

Johnson has started Liverpool's last three Premier League matches but was left on the bench for the previous 15 games.

The former Chelsea and Portsmouth defender has played 17 Premier League matches, including 13 starts this term, and doesn't anticipate extending his stay at Anfield.

"Of course [I expect to leave at the end of the season], I have no contract," Johnson told The Liverpool Echo.

"I don't think that will change but we have to wait and see.

"I have always been professional all season, always wanted to play and that's still what I'm doing. I've got four more games and then let's see what we do in the summer."

Liverpool sit fifth in the Premier League, seven points behind fourth-placed Manchester United with four games remaining, which leaves Rodgers's side with only a slim chance of qualifying for next season's Champions League.

With just one point collected in their past three fixtures, the Reds must bring in reinforcements if they want to challenge for the title in 2015-16, according to Johnson.

"Every team is going to try and do their business in the summer to try and make themselves stronger for the following the season," he said. "The club needs to do that too.

"We have some fantastic young players but we say the same every year – we always have some good young players coming through. The club has got some business to do in the summer."

No comments:

Post a Comment