zezestudio

Wednesday 2 December 2015

Benzema on sex tape scandal: I'm being treated like a criminal… I'm not guilty!

Karim Benzema has spoken to the press for the first time since being accused of helping to blackmail France team-mate Mathieu Valbuena with a sex tape.

The Real Madrid star has proclaimed his innocence, insisting that his only intention during the scandal has been to help Valbuena end the nightmare.

"Sincerely, I am not guilty," Benzema told TF1. "I'm being dragged through the mud and treated like a criminal.

"I heard about the tape and I told him [Valbuena]. I told him I wanted to help him. I've experienced these things in the past and I have a friend in Lyon who can help manage issues of this nature.

"I told him that if he had told his family already, he could let this go. I told him I have experienced these sort of things in the past.

"We never spoke about money. I earn a good living and when I help someone, I don't expect anything back.

"Valbuena thanked me the day I told him. What I do regret though, is this conversation with [my friend Karim] Zenati. I regret it because we laughed. I think it was understandable. It was spontaneous. I would have liked to be able to get in contact with Valbuena to apologise.

"I don't know the people that blackmailed him. The only one I know is Karim Zenati. He had his past and went to prison, but he started a new life since.

"I don't even understand why I have been in custody and why they dirtied my name when I was the one who wanted to be heard. I don't understand."

Didier Deschamps left both players out of his party for France's friendly games with Germany and England in November, though Benzema was still recovering from a hamstring problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment