zezestudio

Wednesday 10 September 2014

Wilshere: Hodgson is gives us homework

Jack Wilshere has revealed that Roy Hodgson is giving the England squad “homework” as they look to build on their solid start to Euro 2016 qualifying.
The Three Lions defeated Switzerland 2-0 in Basle earlier this week, and Wilshere says the entire squad have been encouraged to analyse their individual performances as they look to persist with a midfield diamond.Continue...

Hodgson deployed the new formation in the victory at St Jakob's Park, with Wilshere featuring at the base of the midfield, and the 22-year-old believes the manager will continue to utilise the formation in upcoming qualifiers against San Marino and Estonia.

“Between meet-ups we’ve got to do a little bit more work,” said Wilshere. “We’ve got to do our homework, to go through videos and analyse the games, because we don’t get long together. I’ll speak with Gary Neville. We’re in contact. That [diamond] formation is going to be the way forward and we’ll only get better at it.”

Wilshere studied videos of legendary Italian midfielder Andrea Pirlo and Barcelona’s Javier Mascherano ahead of his first performance in his new role, and he is hoping to benefit from the analysis technique between international breaks.

“It’s a new role and the first time I’ve ever played back there on my own,” he added. “Sometimes I just want to get forward and you have to be disciplined. I’ll get better at it. When the manager told me I was going to play there, I watched videos of Pirlo and Mascherano, the best players who play there.

“It was Pirlo’s use of the ball they wanted me to look at and the way Mascherano breaks up play and gets around. I watched Argentina’s game against Germany in the World Cup final and he was fantastic.

"He didn’t do much but he was fantastic. And we’ve seen what Pirlo can do because he’s done it to us a few times. They’re the best players in the role and I can only learn from them.”

No comments:

Post a Comment