zezestudio

Saturday 25 April 2015

Fellaini hits out at 'bulls***' criticism

Marouane Fellaini has hit back at criticism of his first season at Manchester United, claiming that those who have derided him are talking “bulls***”.

Fellaini joined United in a £27.5 million deal from Everton in 2013, becoming David Moyes’ first signing of his ultimately doomed reign at Old Trafford.

The Belgium international quickly became a pariah, however, but he insists that he did not “lose his football” during his difficult debut season.

“It was a difficult season for everyone, not just me, but the criticism was on me because I was the transfer of Moyes. I did some good games but even those I was criticised for. A lot of people talked about me, about my quality,” he told the Daily Mail.

“I had played five years in England and every season I played very well for Everton. Then, for one year, I lost my football, I lost my quality, I lost everything. Bull****. That's my opinion. And now my quality has come back. But that's not right, that's not right.”


Fellaini admits he struggled to adapt to life at Old Trafford, as he was the only summer signing of Moyes’ tenure.

“The difference this summer is five players come, not just me. It would have been completely different if five players had arrived at the same time as me, but they did not,” he added. “Just me. So I was in the middle of it. Sometimes, I didn't play — and it was still me. I was injured for three months — still me. It was stupid, a bad experience.

“I would go home and it would feel so complicated. I thought about it all, it was very difficult. What kept me going was the World Cup. I was determined to have a good World Cup as a way of forgetting the rest of the season.

“I was injured for three months, I had a lot of small injuries, and all I would do is think about it. At the World Cup I did well. It was a bad season for me with United, but good with the national team.” Fellaini says he has grown stronger after his initial struggles, and he believes that he has now won the United fans over.

“It is different now,” he said. “The fans, the people, they are with me, not against me. Last season was bad for everyone — but I have had the strength to move on.

“That is football. I learned a lot from that. I am stronger mentally. I always thought I was, but now more than ever.”

However, despite his recent resurgence – Fellaini has become something of a key player under Louis van Gaal – the 27-year-old admits he contemplated leaving United during Moyes’ spell in charge.

“Yes,” he said, “but I have a contract. I talked with the new manager and he told me I have to show him, prove to him. I accept that. I am a footballer so I like that competition. I said I will fight for my place and then we will see at the end of the season.

“This is a big club and I wanted to show I can play here. I worked hard. This season I haven't played every game, but I have played more than last season. I play much better than last year, but the team play much better as well, so it has been good for us all.

“Now we're one year on and I've forgotten about the past. It is a new challenge. About last season, I don't care anymore. I play. That is all that matters.”

No comments:

Post a Comment