zezestudio

Friday 27 March 2015

Suarez: Barcelona style a whole new world for me

Barcelona striker Luis Suarez has admitted he initially found it difficult to adjust to his new club's style of play after his summer move from Liverpool.

The Uruguay international arrived at Camp Nou for around €88 million but only scored one goal in his first eight games after returning from his ban for biting Giorgio Chiellini at the World Cup.

Suarez is now up to 14 for the season and nine his last 11 matches, however, and scored the winner in Sunday's Clasico against Real Madrid.
 

And Suarez has admitted that his poor early form was down to him still settling into life in Catalunya,

"Against Barcelona, most of the teams sit deep," Suarez told Kicker. "That was something I had to get used to, even though I am used to the physical battle as a striker.

"But there's little space for my game here. It's more difficult than at Liverpool. Barca's style was a whole new world for me.

"My instincts as a striker were fine from the start but I did not know how to act on the pitch. At first, I did not want to be seen as a selfish player so I thought: 'What will the other guys say to me?'

"So I ended up passing the ball instead of shooting. Over the course of time I dared to shoot again. But I know that I must respect Barca's playing style here."

Suarez laughed off suggestions of a pact at Barcelona to ensure Lionel Messi becomes La Liga top scorer ahead of Cristiano Ronaldo.

"That's a weird thing to say," he added. "Messi has even said to me after games: 'I thought that you were going to score yourself, that's why I was not ready for the pass.'

"We offer our excuses a lot when we haven't passed the ball."

The former Ajax star has often cited a desire to be reunited with Sofia Balbi, who he began dating at age 15 before she moved to Barcelona, as motivation for earning a transfer to Europe.

The couple are now married and Suarez expressed his happiness with life with his two children in Spain.

"Barcelona is the city that took away the woman of my life," he explained. "We suffered a lot and thought that we would only live there together when I ended my career.

"It's a dream that we are here with our kids right now. That's what we always wanted."

No comments:

Post a Comment